Press Release - COVID 19
Cowlitz County Superior Court understands many people are concerned about the COVID-19 virus. We are working to make good decisions that protect the public and staff and afford access to the court.We will continue to follow guidance from the Cowlitz County Health Department to help protect people's health.
In light of the most recent order by the Washington State Supreme Court Order and Cowlitz County Emergency Order no. 1-A, the following changes are critical changes being implemented effective immediately.
- All in-person court appearances are eliminated effectively immediately.Except for
- in-custody criminal cases, all hearings that occur will be through CourtCall or some otherapproved telephonic method.
- All out-of-custody criminal matters shall be continued until after May 1, 2020.
- All in-custody criminal matters shall be continued until after April 24, 2020, except for scheduling and hearing of first appearances, arraignments, plea hearings, criminal motions and sentencing hearings.
- Adult Drug Court and Mental Health Court will be cancelled, but will resume the week
- of May 4, 2020.
- All emergency domestic motions shall remain as currently or subsequently scheduled as determined by the Judge.All non-emergency domestic motions shall be renoted by requesting part for a date after June 1, 2020.
- Involuntary Treatment Act (ITA) hearings will be reduced from 3 days a week to 1 day
- per week.
- All out-of-custody juvenile criminal matters shall be continued until after May 1, 2020.
- All in-custody juvenile criminal matters shall be continued until after April 24, 2020,
- with the following exceptions:Scheduling and hearing of first appearances, arraignments, please hearings, criminal motions and sentencing hearings.
- Juvenile SAFE Court and ITC hearings are cancelled but will resume the week of May 4, 2020.
- For more information concerning specific matters, please consult the attached Cowlitz County Superior Court Emergency order no. 1-A.
- Cowlitz County Superior Court is working diligently to develop operational plans to provide for community health while providing access to court resources.More information will be communicated to court stakeholders as we refine operations plans to implement these new changes. For more information please see our website at: http://www.cowlitzsuperiorcourt.us/
- Additionally, the Cowlitz County Youth Services Center Probation and Administrative Offices are closed for public business effectively immediately.Probation staff are available to assist you over the phone.If you have questions about how to file a legal document in juvenile court please call the office.The phone number is 360-577-3100.Probation and administrative staff will be available to assist you from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Monday-Friday.
- For those needing access to the juvenile detention portion of the Youth Services Center, you may access detention through the detention entrance on the South side of the youth services center.Access is limited to medical staff, parents picking up their child or dropping off their medications, attorneys and mental health staff.Anyone entering the youth services center is subject to additional screening to include temperature checks.
A Washington call center can answer questions about the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), how it spreads and what to do if you have symptoms.Call 1-800-525-0127 and press #.
For Additional information Contact:
Chad Connors at 360-577-3085 or